Offer archived at 09/01/2023
Head of Administration (m/f), Grenoble
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is a world-leading international life sciences research organization with its main laboratory situated in Heidelberg, Germany and five laboratories at other sites in Europe. In Grenoble, France, EMBL employs approximately 90 people and has a world-wide reputation for research and service activities in structural molecular biology. EMBL Grenoble shares the European Photon and Neutron (EPN) Campus with two other international organizations, the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) and the Institut Laue Langevin (ILL) as well as the French Institut de Biologie Structurale (IBS).
You will, together with a team of up to 4 administration officers, be responsible for the management, organization and delivery of all administrative services at EMBL Grenoble. These services cover inter-institutional contracts, scientific grants, public relations and communications, finances (purchasing, inventory, budget control), human resources, travel arrangements, meetings organisation and personal assistance to Head of Unit. You will ensure that the services are performed in an effective and efficient manner and within all legislative, policy and procedural guidelines.
You will report to the Head of the Grenoble site and have a close working relationship with the central services located in Heidelberg under the Chief Operating Officer of EMBL.
- Lead EMBL Grenoble’s administration team.
- Advise the Head of EMBL Grenoble in administrative, institutional, legal and policy matters.
- Contribute to strategic decision-making and implementing decisions as they relate to the EMBL Grenoble.
- Oversee negotiation of new contracts with scientific and other partners.
- Ensure that the services are performed in an effective and efficient manner, within all legislative, policy and procedural guidelines and according to EMBL best practices.
- Ensure that EMBL privileges and immunities are respected and properly implemented.
- Establish and maintain constructive relationships with the national and local authorities of France, the host member state.
- As a member of the EPN science campus, foster constructive working relationships with other research institutes on site and advice in setting up new collaborations.
- Oversee and implement the administration control framework including risk management.
- Participate in internal and external working groups and advisory committees as appropriate.
- Human Resources: Ensure correct interpretation and application of the EMBL Staff Rules and Regulations, participate in the resolution of staff disputes, oversight of local recruitment, and proposal of on-site-specific HR measures and rules, including training.
- Finance: Budgets, finance, taxes and grants management: Oversee the development of the EMBL Grenoble budget, down to group leader level, and ensure that these are agreed with the Head of Site and regularly reported. Ensure that applications for grant funding are properly coordinated and support provided for awarded grants. Advise on tax matters and implement procedures for the recovery of paid taxes.
- Purchasing: Oversee the work of the administration team on the purchasing activities of the EMBL Grenoble site in accordance with EMBL Financial Regulations and other applicable rules, and advise on commercial contracts and activities.
- Facility Management: Oversee space planning, allocation and office moves, works and maintenance.
- Health & Safety: Ensure that proper processes and procedures are implemented to secure the well-being and safety of personnel and visitors.
- Establish and maintain relations with Heads of administration of other EMBL Units and of EPN institutions.
- Establish and maintain relations with other international organisations.
- You have an advanced university degree in Business Administration, Public Management or other relevant areas, and have at least 7 years of progressively responsible international experience in a senior position.
- You will be capable of adopting a forward looking and solution oriented attitude within the context of administration within an international organisation. You have demonstrated general managerial competencies in a multi-national environment, enjoy working independently as well as possess excellent communication, networking and computer skills. Furthermore, you have an analytical and numerical mind-set with attention to detail.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French are essential for this position.
- You might also have
- In addition to having the competence and stature to direct all aspects of the work, you have specific knowledge and experience in at least one of the following fields:
- Negotiating and drafting contracts.
- Finance and budget control.
- Scientific grants management.
Why join us
EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. As an inclusive, equal opportunity employer, we believe that diversity enables us to collaborate more effectively and be innovative in our approaches. We are, therefore, committed to creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realize their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation.
We encourage applications from individuals who can complement our existing team – we believe that success is built on having teams whose backgrounds and personal experiences reflect the diversity of the populations that our science serves. We actively encourage applications from all genders and cultures, ethnic groups and all demographics to help us avoid perpetuating biases and oversights at this transformational point in our people strategy.
EMBL offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment. Competitive salary and social security benefits, financial support for relocation, a relaxed culture, flexible work arrangements, professional development, and other staff facilities make EMBL a great place to work.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed up to 9 years in total, depending on circumstances at time of review.
EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 8, depending on experience and qualifications
- Reference number: GR00188
Offer archived at 09/01/2023